Council leader backs £190m Newcastle United training ground plans
Council leader backs £190m Newcastle United training ground plans

Newcastle City Council leader Colin Ferguson has backed £190 million plans for Newcastle United’s new training ground at Woolsington Hall, while insisting the proposals will receive “robust” scrutiny. The football club announced on Thursday that an agreement had been struck to purchase the 260-acre estate, which will become the site of a “world class” training complex.

Planning application expected early next year

A planning application for the development is expected early next year, with hopes that it could be ready to open for the 2029/30 season. The estate, located on the outskirts of the city near Newcastle International Airport, features a derelict listed country house and parkland. It was previously purchased in 1994 by former NUFC chairman Sir John Hall, who had wanted to move the club’s academy there.

Councillor Ferguson, a Liberal Democrat, welcomed the prospect of the Magpies moving their training base within the city’s boundaries from the existing training ground in Longbenton. He said: “Newcastle United is a key part of the fabric of our city and a source of huge pride for generations of Geordies. A thriving Newcastle United will always be a benefit to the city and the regional economy, you need to look no further than the Carabao Cup celebrations to see the connection between our residents and the club.”

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Consultation and planning process

“We are delighted that the proposals will bring the training ground back within our city’s boundaries once again and that there will be development that will benefit the wider area. However, it is also vitally important that any planning application that comes forward is properly consulted upon and that those living in the area have their say,” he added.

“Our independent planning committee will be robust in their challenge; as leader of the council I rightly do not have influence over that process. Whatever moves forward must be to the benefit of all the city.” A council spokesperson added that any Woolsington Hall planning application would be “subject to the same consultation process as any other resident or developer”.

Funding and context

The proposed development is being funded by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF), the club’s majority owners, and RB Sports and Media. Newcastle City Council’s relationship with the football club has come under scrutiny in recent years following the PIF-led takeover in 2021. Human rights campaigners have criticised Civic Centre bosses for seeking investment from and closer links to Saudi Arabia, claiming that association with the Gulf state has seen Newcastle’s reputation “dragged through the mud”.

Councillor Ferguson recently told the Local Democracy Reporting Service that he would “not be shy” in speaking up about human rights abuses, but that he wanted a “productive relationship” with the local leadership at St James’ Park. NUFC chief executive David Hopkinson described the Woolsington Hall deal, which follows lengthy speculation about a new training ground and stadium, as a “landmark moment”.

He said: “Subject to planning permission, our proposed performance complex will create the world’s best performance environment for our teams. We’ll develop purpose-built facilities that are geared towards developing sustainable success in the future, where players, coaches and staff can perform at their very best every day. We will be submitting a detailed planning application that not only demonstrates our vision, but also how we will preserve and enhance an historic estate, its biodiversity and wildlife habitats, and how we’ll be a great neighbour.”

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration