Manchester United have been handed renewed hope of landing a fifth signing before the transfer deadline after Alejandro Balde was omitted from Barcelona's squad for their LaLiga opener.
The Spanish international was among the most prominent absentees from Hansi Flick's 21-man travelling party for Sunday evening's clash with Elche in Alicante.
Balde's lack of involvement comes amid reports that he has emerged as United's preferred candidate for a left-back signing before the summer window closes on September 1.
United contact Jorge Mendes over Balde deal
Reports in recent days have indicated United's growing interest in Balde, with claims they have already contacted agent Jorge Mendes to discuss potential terms of a deal.
It was reported in Spain on Friday - per Sport Witness - that Mendes had held talks with Barcelona over two of his clients in Balde and Marc Casado, having travelled to Catalonia initially to finalise Joao Cancelo's return to Camp Nou.
While it has been suggested that Flick does not want to lose Balde, the 22-year-old's omission from the squad travelling to Elche - alongside fellow transfer candidates Casado and Hector Fort - suggests United could yet succeed with their approach.
Jijantes have also said that Balde wants to leave Barcelona in the final days of the window as Mendes works to find a new club.
Left-back search continues
United are known to be looking for a new left-back as a long-term successor to Luke Shaw, who turned 31 last month and is in the final year of his contract at Old Trafford, though the club retain the option to trigger a further 12-month extension.
Lewis Hall was said to be at the top of their shortlist, only for Newcastle to be unwilling to sanction another high-profile sale during a summer in which they have already lost Bruno Guimaraes, Sandro Tonali and Anthony Gordon.
There have been tentative rumours about a potential late bid for Hall, though that looks like an impossible deal with just over a week of the market remaining.
Other left-backs linked with United include RB Leipzig captain David Raum and Jorge Salinas of Racing Santander, the latter of whom is understood to be of interest to Atletico Madrid. Eintracht Frankfurt's Nathaniel Brown is also said to be a target.
Baleba deal completed
The Red Devils are turning their attention back to the left side of defence after clinching their coveted third midfielder signing of the summer with a move for Brighton's Carlos Baleba worth an initial £65million, plus a further £5m in add-ons.
Manager Michael Carrick's need for further reinforcements was laid bare on the opening day of the new Premier League season, when his side lost 2-0 away at newly-promoted Hull following a dispiriting end to pre-season in which they lost 4-2 to an AC Milan team led by former boss Ruben Amorim.
Baleba will be United's fourth senior signing of the summer, following the additions of fellow midfielders Andrey Santos and Youri Tielemans, plus back-up goalkeeper Karl Darlow.



