Liverpool set for new Barcola bid as Mbaye deal nears
Liverpool set for new Barcola bid as Mbaye deal nears

Liverpool are expected to submit a new offer to Paris Saint-Germain for Bradley Barcola this week, according to reports, while their pursuit of teammate Ibrahim Mbaye is said to be progressing rapidly.

The Reds are keen to sign both PSG wingers before the transfer window closes in England on September 1. New head coach Andoni Iraola is in need of further attacking reinforcements after Liverpool strengthened their defence this summer with the arrivals of Jeremy Jacquet and Ronald Araujo.

Their only addition in the final third so far has been Spain international Victor Munoz, whose £34.5 million release clause at Osasuna was triggered during the World Cup.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Attacking depth concerns

Iraola's side remain short on attacking depth alongside the likes of record signing Alexander Isak, Munoz and teenage sensation Rio Ngumoha. Hugo Ekitike is a long-term injury absentee, and doubts surround the Anfield futures of Cody Gakpo and Federico Chiesa.

Academy graduates including Lewis Koumas and Will Wright featured heavily during pre-season, along with fellow youngsters such as Trey Nyoni and Ifeanyi Ndukwe. Liverpool are also yet to sign a marquee replacement for club icon Mohamed Salah, who left at the end of last season and subsequently joined Turkish club Trabzonspor.

Barcola identified as Salah successor

Barcola is known to be the desired successor to Salah. French outlet RMC Sport reported on Tuesday that Liverpool are expected to submit a new offer to PSG this week for the France international as negotiations continue.

There is still said to be a gap in valuations between the two clubs, but Liverpool are believed to remain eager to push ahead with a move.

The same publication reports that Liverpool's separate swoop for Barcola's fellow PSG winger Mbaye is moving at pace, with talks now set to accelerate after the player agreed terms on a five-year contract that would run until 2031.

Mbaye deal advances

Crucially, they insist that transfer rivals Bayer Leverkusen are no longer expected to pursue a deal for the 18-year-old, who was born in France but plays international football for Senegal.

Transfer speculation over Barcola and Mbaye has only increased after both players were left out of the PSG squad entirely for Sunday's defeat by Ligue 1 rivals Lens in the French Super Cup.

Asked about the duo following that loss, PSG boss Luis Enrique said: "I will only talk about the transfer window at the end of the transfer window, not before or after. When the transfer window is closed, I will talk about all the subjects."

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration