Chelsea reject Leeds United opening offer for Mykhailo Mudryk
Chelsea reject Leeds United opening offer for Mudryk

Chelsea have rejected an opening offer from Leeds United for Mykhailo Mudryk, according to reports, despite the winger being deemed surplus to requirements at Stamford Bridge.

Blues trim squad ahead of deadline day

The Blues have been working on reducing Xabi Alonso's squad before the September 1 transfer deadline, with several outcast players already securing moves away. Axel Disasi is joining Crystal Palace, Benoit Badiashile is moving to Napoli, and Atletico Madrid are finalising a £65million transfer for Nicolas Jackson.

Other players facing uncertain futures include Liam Delap, Tosin Adarabioyo, Mamadou Sarr and Darrio Essugo.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Mudryk's situation

Mudryk has been cleared to play for the first time in nearly two years after his doping ban was resolved by the World Anti-Doping Agency and the Football Association. The winger, who joined Chelsea from Shakhtar Donetsk in January 2023 for an initial £62m, took part in the club's pre-season tour but has agreed to be loaned out for the upcoming campaign.

Several Premier League sides have shown interest in the Ukraine international, including Frank Lampard's Coventry City, who face Arsenal on Friday night. BBC Sport report that Leeds are very interested in Mudryk as they look to strengthen their attacking options but have seen their opening offer turned down. The bid fell 'well short of Chelsea's expectations', but talks are ongoing and Mudryk is keen on the switch to Elland Road.

It is said the player would prefer to stay in England, seemingly ruling out a move to interested clubs in Italy and Chelsea's sister-club Strasbourg. Chelsea also rejected a loan offer from Brentford earlier this summer because they wanted to include an option-to-buy clause in the deal.

Alonso's comments

Speaking in his pre-match press conference ahead of Chelsea's opening fixture against Fulham, Alonso said about Mudryk's future: 'We will see, we still have time to decide and we don't have to rush on many decisions and at the right time, we will take them. At the moment, not yet.'

Mudryk recorded 29 goal contributions in 44 games for Shakhtar and managed 10 goals and 11 assists in 73 appearances for the Blues before his ban.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration