Sheffield United face the prospect of a 12-point deduction as a £35m dispute between the club's current and former owners heads to court.
The Championship club's ownership group, COH Sports Bidco, is due before a winding-up hearing on Wednesday, August 19, after United World, the previous owners of Sheffield United, claimed it is still owed £35m following the 2024 takeover.
Owners reject claims
The Bramall Lane club's new owners, led by Helmy Eltoukhy and Steve Rosen, have insisted Sheffield United is "financially healthy" and rejected the claims made by Prince Abdullah's United World.
However, the potential consequences of the legal dispute are significant. Should the current ownership group be declared insolvent, a 12-point deduction could be imposed on Sheffield United under EFL regulations.
Blades' promotion ambitions
The Blades are one of the Championship's biggest clubs and are among the sides expected to challenge towards the top end of the division this season, making the prospect of beginning a campaign with a points penalty a major development. The club started their Championship campaign at the weekend with a goalless draw at home to Birmingham City.
United World sold Sheffield United to COH Sports Bidco in 2024, but claims it remains owed £35m from the takeover. If that money is paid, the threat of administration would disappear.
United World statement
The winding-up hearing is scheduled for Wednesday, with United World warning of the potential consequences should the dispute remain unresolved. In a statement, United World said it did not want to see Sheffield United face "months of uncertainty" but claimed it had been left with no alternative but to pursue legal action to protect its interests.
"As the former owners of SUFC, United World does not want to see SUFC facing months of uncertainty that will follow the winding-up order being granted on 19 August," the statement said. "But in the absence of [Helmy] Eltoukhy and Rosen, both billionaires, agreeing to pay what they owe, we have no alternative but to take all legal steps to protect our interests."
United World also claimed that both the EFL and Independent Football Regulator were aware of the situation. "We understand that the EFL and the Independent Football Regulator (the IFR) are aware of this situation but so far, we are not aware of any intervention by either," the statement added. "United World has issued this public statement in the hope that it is possible to avoid the potential consequences the Club may face if this is not resolved before 19 August, after which we shall have no control over those consequences."
Owners hit back
The EFL is aware of the statement and will consider any relevant developments in line with its regulations. Sources close to Sheffield United's current ownership have strongly rejected the allegations and accused Prince Abdullah of attempting to damage the club.
"We are disappointed Prince Abdullah is trying to hurt the club and its supporters with publicity stunts," they said, per Sky Sports. "The deal between sophisticated parties in 2024 was well advised by his financial advisors. Sheffield United is financially healthy, unlike under Prince Abdullah when the Club incurred a points deduction for missing payments to football creditors."
The current owners also revealed that Eltoukhy and Rosen had invited Abdullah to reinvest in the club. "Nonetheless, Helmy Eltoukhy and Steven Rosen invited Abdullah to re-invest in the Club and join the ownership of Sheffield United and to help use his skills to support our promotion efforts," they said. "Helmy and Steve are focused on the sustainability of the club and the season ahead."
Impact on Welsh clubs
Sheffield United's situation will be closely watched by the rest of the Championship, including Welsh sides Cardiff City, Swansea City and Wrexham. A 12-point deduction would have a major impact on the competitive landscape if it is imposed.
Cardiff have returned to the Championship after winning promotion from League One last season, while Swansea and Wrexham are looking to improve and make a mark in the play-off race. For all clubs, the Blades' potential points penalty could alter the complexion of the division, particularly given Sheffield United's status as one of the sides with ambitions of challenging near the top.
However, no points deduction has been imposed at this stage. The immediate issue is Wednesday's winding-up hearing and whether the ownership dispute can be resolved. United World has made clear it wants the £35m dispute settled, while Sheffield United's current owners insist the club itself is financially healthy. The outcome of the court proceedings could therefore have significant ramifications for the Blades — and potentially for the Championship promotion race involving the three Welsh teams.



