Andy Farrell Condemns Racist Abuse Targeting Ireland's Edwin Edogbo
Farrell Slams Racist Abuse of Ireland Star Edogbo

Andy Farrell Denounces Racist Abuse Targeting Ireland's Edwin Edogbo

Ireland head coach Andy Farrell has issued a strong condemnation of the "disgusting" racist abuse directed at Edwin Edogbo following the player's international debut. The Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) has launched an investigation into the social media attacks that occurred after Edogbo came on as a replacement in Ireland's 20-13 Guinness Six Nations victory over Italy last weekend in Dublin.

Player Targeted After Debut Performance

Edwin Edogbo, the 23-year-old Munster lock who was born and raised in County Cork to Nigerian parents, became the subject of online racist abuse despite his impressive performance off the bench against Italy. The incident prompted a forceful response from Farrell, who expressed his support for the young player and urged him to "crack on and ignore all the BS."

Speaking to reporters on Thursday after announcing his team for Saturday's crucial away match against England at Twickenham, Farrell emphasized that his primary concern was Edogbo's wellbeing. "First and foremost, it's all about the player, nothing but about how he is and how it's affecting him or not," Farrell stated. "We've had the conversation and he's fine, thankfully. But it's obviously disgusting. There's no need for it in society."

Coach Refuses to Engage with Perpetrators

The Ireland coach made it clear he would not give any attention to those responsible for the abuse. "I didn't read it. I don't want to read it, I don't want to give people anything to even think that I'm even commenting on some of the stuff that has been said really because they certainly don't deserve that," Farrell explained. "But as far as I'm concerned, Edwin's fine, he's strong, he's been brought up in the right way."

Farrell further highlighted Edogbo's strong family background as a source of resilience. "We met his family last week, his mother and his two brothers and his sister. His father couldn't make it because he works all hours God sends as an A and E (accident and emergency) nurse there down in Cork, which says it all," Farrell revealed. "He's made of the right stuff, and that's why he's able to just crack on and ignore all the BS."

Selection Decision for England Clash

Despite his notable contribution against Italy, Edogbo has not been included in the matchday 23 for the upcoming fixture against England at Twickenham. Joe McCarthy and James Ryan will continue as the starting locks, while Tadhg Beirne, who starts at blindside flanker, can cover the second row position from the bench.

Farrell explained the selection decision by discussing the specific demands of the position and the challenges of playing at Twickenham. "We've got some good players who are used to pushing in the scrum in the second row," he noted. "Any type of unit like Edwin is going to be quite dominant in that department. I suppose the occasion, when you're coming on as a new-ish player in a big game like that at Twickenham, are you going to have it in your legs in the last 10 minutes or not?"

The coach added: "There's a difference there in that regard, but I suppose Joe McCarthy's big enough and strong enough. We've certainly got a determined pack this week to make sure that that area is attacked from us."

The IRFU's investigation into the racist abuse continues as Irish rugby confronts this unacceptable behavior within the sport community.