Rangers issues flagged despite first McInnes win
Rangers issues flagged despite first McInnes win

Rangers recorded a 5-1 victory over St Mirren on Sunday, a day after Celtic beat Dundee United 4-0, setting up a Premier Sports Cup quarter-final clash between the Old Firm rivals. It was Derek McInnes' first win as Rangers boss, but some players still faced criticism from fans on the Hotline.

Fan Concerns Over Key Players

Peter Cooperwhite emailed: “What a big difference that is - 75 per cent better but still the silliness to get rid of. James Penrice is a breath of fresh air and a good performance from some of the others but Derek McInnes has a major conundrum on his hands. Rangers were 4-1 up at the time he brought on captain Lawrence Shankland - it tells me he knows he's not as sharp as he would like him to be, but that's his problem.”

Richard Wharton, Carlisle, said: “Well, what has happened down Govan way? A resounding first victory, with goals against a St Mirren side who had not conceded so far. But what is occurring with the supposed ‘best striker in Scotland’? He can’t even get into the starting line up and has only got one solitary goal from the spot.”

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Defensive and Officiating Complaints

Drew Ferguson, Oban, said: “Derek McInnes needs a centre half that is a dominant and consistent defender, he needs to drop Manny Fernandez who prioritises looking like a good defender rather than being a good defender.” George Wilson, West Sussex, added: “We have had Rangers-obsessed Gordon Ashley and several others lately saying Rangers are a spent force and are no longer a threat to Celtic, despite that fact they carry on talking about us three or four times a week on here. As we are no longer a threat hopefully they should be happy at drawing us in the League cup quarter finals. Similarly the ones who have been screaming the treble is in the bag already for Celtic should be equally happy.”

Discussion soon turned to officials and decisions in both games. Celtic’s second goal at Tannadice came after the ball rebounded off Kasper Hogh’s arm. Some reckon Rangers defender Manny Fernandez should have been sent off against Saints. Chris Lowe, Yoker, said: “We need foreign officials for the upcoming Old Firm double header as how anyone can look at the refereeing in this country and claim there is a modicum of impartiality is beyond me. Collum gaslighting the public over Celtic’s handball and Clancy on VAR ignoring two stonewall penalties for Rangers yesterday is only the tip of it.”

Mixed Views on Handball Decision

Henry Moffat, Stirling, said: “What an utter farce of a decision not to send off the Rangers defender for a clear second yellow. This is a clear result of the referee intimidation that has been going on at Ibrox for the last few years. They can’t compete with Celtic any more so have turned to pressurising referees in an act of pure desperation.” Willie Mercer, Dumfries, said: “Lets make no mistake about Hogh’s handball at Celtic’s second goal, accidental or not, if that had been a United defender’s arm, there is no doubt a penalty would have been given, on the basis his arm was in an unnatural position. The differing interpretation between it being an attacking player or defender whose arm the ball strikes, is not only baffling but fundamentally wrong in applying a fair balance within the laws of the game.”

But Liam Birney, Paisley, said: “The law is clear on this in that if he had scored himself directly after the unintentional handball it would have been ruled out. However, as another player scored it is perfectly legal and within the rules and laws of the game. It could only have been ruled out if it was deliberately handled. As for the usual Hotline suspects Flett and Lowe saying Celtic will never get the fee for Engles, the Daily Record clearly reported the fee £22m plus £3m in add ons. Wrong again lads.”

New Scotland Manager Welcomed

Finally, Scotland have a new manager. Sebastien Pocognoli has been chosen to succeed Steve Clarke. Neil Renton, Leith, said: “Good luck to new Scotland head coach Sebastien Pocognoli. Steve Clarke did well to get into three major tournaments. We now need someone to take us to the next level and hopefully that’s Sebastien.”

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration