David Moyes has challenged the perception that last season was a “failure” as he addressed the collapse that cost Everton a place in Europe. The Blues boss said the seven-game winless run that meant his side fell short had cast a shadow over his summer that he was only just getting over.
But he disputed the claim by CEO Angus Kinnear this week that the campaign did not meet the expectations of owners the Friedkin Group (TFG). In an interview with the BBC, Kinnear reflected on last season and, of TFG's conclusion, said: “They viewed it as a failure because it was a failure. They knew we put ourselves in a really good position [for Europe] and I think they were excited that we put ourselves in that position.”
Moyes surprised by owners' disappointment
That position was met with surprise by Moyes as he spoke ahead of Everton's Premier League opener with Crystal Palace. Asked for his thoughts on how the 2025-26 campaign ended - and what Kinnear had said days earlier - he said: “I was hugely disappointed we didn't make it, I have got to say. It took me a long time this summer to get over it, I am just getting over it to be honest.
“To be in Europe makes a big difference, it means much more money coming into the club, it means a better chance to sign a different level of player, you can also try and keep a bigger squad working because you have more regular games so for me there were a lot of reasons why I wanted it to happen.
“I am surprised they [TFG] were disappointed because I don't think anybody set out, there was never ever a time anybody said to me: 'David you have to make Europe or you have to be in and around the top end'. I think everybody wanted to make sure that we moved into the new stadium safe - not having too difficult a season and we certainly done that last year.”
Europe remains a target for this season
Kinnear also identified qualification for European football as a target for this season. On what he believed the potential of the current squad was, Moyes said: “I have been in it long enough, I am experienced enough to know what it looks like and what you really need to get to become a team challenging for Europe and I still think we would need to buy more if we want to become one of those teams.”
Asked whether he expected more business to strengthen the squad before the end of the summer transfer window, he added: “Yeah I do, I do, I expect more. Whether it will happen is a different thing, but I expect more.”
Injuries and captaincy ahead of opener
Everton will start the season without three players, the manager confirmed. He said James Garner was recovering from hernia surgery, Tim Iroegbunam from an abductor strain and that Christian Norgaard, one of five summer signings, was not yet available. Moyes believes the start of the campaign will be tough against that backdrop.
Saturday's visit of Palace to Hill Dickinson Stadium will be the first with James Tarkowski as the official club captain, replacing Seamus Coleman after his departure this summer. On that appointment, Moyes said: “Tarky was the captain really all last year, Seamus was a great captain on and off the field and for long periods of last year it was off the field and he didn't half do a great job not just in my time here but in the time when it was difficult.
“It wasn't that long ago that it was difficult times, we mustn't forget that but Tarky is the one who has taken it on. He will have to play well, he has got competition at centre-half but at the moment, while he is on the pitch, Tarky will be captain.”



