Man Utd agree £70m Carlos Baleba deal after Brighton medical
Man Utd agree £70m Baleba deal after Brighton medical

Manchester United are closing in on the signing of Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba. Standard Sport reported earlier in the week that Man United were in active negotiations with Brighton to bring the 22-year-old to Old Trafford before the summer transfer window closes.

According to Fabrizio Romano, a verbal agreement is in place between the two clubs for a deal worth £65million, including a further £5m in add-ons. The Cameroon international has also been granted permission by Brighton to undergo a medical this weekend, though an ankle injury will delay his Man Utd debut by a few weeks at least.

Fourth signing of the summer

Assuming there are not issues with the medical, Baleba will become the fourth signing of the summer for Michael Carrick's side, following the arrivals of Andrey Santos, Youri Tielemans and Karl Darlow.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Speaking in United's pre-Hull press conference on Thursday, Carrick was asked about the club's transfer plans separate to the Baleba deal. After releasing Tyrell Malacia on a free transfer and not making progress on a deal for Newcastle's Lewis Hall, signing a left-back is expected to be United's priority between now and Deadline Day.

Carrick on transfer plans

Carrick said: "I just think we're looking to strengthen the squad. We're certainly working towards that, making the most of the situation that we have and trying to improve things and trying to move forward."

"You know, I said the same thing to you last time. So, yeah, certainly trying to make the most of the opportunities to finish the window stronger than we went into it. And I think we're a good way to doing that, so far."

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration