Rodri has completed his move from Manchester City to Barcelona, signing a four-year contract after the clubs agreed a fee of €60m plus €15m in add-ons. The 30-year-old Spain midfielder, who was named the best player at the World Cup, underwent a medical at the club's Joan Despí training ground on Tuesday.
Transfer details and arrival
Barcelona's third bid was accepted, with €11m of the add-ons virtually guaranteed. Rodri will earn around €15m a year, an increase on his salary at City. He flew to Barcelona's El Prat airport on Monday evening on a private jet, having previously been seen at Barajas airport waiting to return to Manchester.
"Playing for Barcelona is a dream come true for me," Rodri told reporters upon arrival. "I'm happy to be here," he added.
Career at Manchester City
Rodri spent seven seasons at the Etihad Stadium, winning the Premier League four times and scoring the winner in the 2023 Champions League final against Internazionale. He joined from Atlético Madrid in July 2019 and was in the final year of his contract.
In a message to City fans, Rodri wrote: "I found that saying goodbye is one of the most difficult things in life but I am going to try. I knew I came into a top team but I never thought we could be able to create the legacy we made – winning trophies, fans around the world, love and respect."
Impact at Barcelona
Rodri is seen as the natural successor to Sergio Busquets, who left Barcelona three years ago. He has been likened to the club legend and has often spoken of learning from him. "I always try to learn from Busquets," said Rodri. "I watched him especially closely: he, and others, lay down a model of playing I knew I had to follow."
The signing is considered a major coup for Barcelona, who saw an initial £40m offer and an increased bid turned down before an agreement was struck on Sunday. Real Madrid had also been interested, but the deal fell through, leaving a hole in their midfield.



