Casemiro's Last Match for Man Utd Confirmed by Carrick
Casemiro's Last Man Utd Match Confirmed by Carrick

Michael Carrick has confirmed that Casemiro has played his last match for Manchester United following an emotional farewell at Old Trafford last weekend. The Brazil midfielder, 34, joined United from Real Madrid in 2022 for a fee that could rise to £70 million, signing a four-year deal with an option for an additional season.

United announced in January that Casemiro would leave the club when his contract expired, and he has enjoyed a successful final few months, playing a key role in their rise to third place in the Premier League. The midfielder was celebrated by fans in last Sunday's 3-2 victory against Nottingham Forest, and Carrick has confirmed he will not feature in the final match of the season at Brighton.

Carrick on Casemiro's Farewell

“It was kind of decided that last week would be his last game,” the head coach said of Casemiro, who is reportedly close to a move to Inter Miami in Major League Soccer. “I think that went well, as well as we all could have hoped, to be honest, and he’s been fantastic. I’ve said a lot of things about Case and how well he’s done for me since I’ve been here and for the whole club. But, yeah, it was decided that it was a good time for him to finish, really.”

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Carrick added: “It just felt the right time, I think, for Case. He was part of that as well. There is an element of balance about the last game. We’re not done. The season’s not done for us. We’re really conscious of that.”

Carrick's Future at United

There was a feel-good factor around Old Trafford last weekend, with Casemiro serenaded as well as head coach Carrick. News emerged before the Forest game that a broad agreement had been reached for the former midfielder to remain as head coach beyond the summer after impressing in the short-term. Although a deal had not been confirmed by the time United held their pre-Brighton press conference, Carrick all but confirmed it was a matter of when, not if, an announcement would be made.

Asked repeatedly about his contract situation, Carrick said with a smile: “Yeah, it was said end of the season pretty much wasn’t it so we’re not far away, a couple of days away. So, yeah, I said to you the other day that clarity is pretty much around the corner and it is going to be now. But at this stage I can’t really give you anymore.”

Team News Ahead of Brighton Clash

Carrick indicated that United have a clean bill of health heading into the trip to Brighton, suggesting Benjamin Sesko is available after missing two games with a shin issue. However, Matthijs de Ligt is unavailable after undergoing surgery on a longstanding back problem.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration