The government has announced it is reviewing the 'lenient' sentences given to three teenage boys who avoided prison after being convicted of raping two girls and filming the attacks in Hampshire.
Details of the case
The three boys, two aged 15 and one aged 14, were handed youth rehabilitation orders (YRO) instead of custodial sentences. The older pair were also placed under intensive supervision and surveillance (ISS). The attacks occurred in Fordingbridge, Hampshire, on November 26, 2024, and January 17, 2025, and were tried at Southampton Crown Court.
The sentences have drawn widespread criticism across the political spectrum, including from former Home Office minister Jess Phillips, who described them as 'unduly lenient' and said they sent a 'bad message'. Speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, she stated: 'For those young women, going through a rape trial like this will not have been a simple thing to do, and I am afraid to say it sends a bad message.'
Reactions from officials
Hampshire Police and Crime Commissioner Donna Jones offered to support the victims' families if they wished to appeal against the leniency. She said: 'This is an extremely disturbing case. I'm deeply concerned these boys felt they could carry out such terrifying acts and share them online and not go to prison. Their sentences are far too lenient.'
A government spokesman confirmed that the Attorney General's office had received 'multiple' requests to review the sentences under the Unduly Lenient Scheme. He added: 'We share the public's shock at the details of this horrific case, and our thoughts are with the young victims during this distressing time.'
Sentencing details
In the sentencing hearing, a 15-year-old boy received a three-year rehabilitation order with 180 days of ISS for raping both girls and two indecent image charges. The court heard he had been diagnosed with ADHD and anxiety. Another 15-year-old received the same sentence for three rape charges and four counts of taking indecent images; he was said to have an IQ in the bottom 1% and ADHD. The third boy, aged 14, was given an 18-month YRO for two rape charges and an indecent image offence; he was described as having mild cognitive impairment.
Judge Nicholas Rowland told the defendants: 'I have to remember that you are not small adults. I should avoid criminalising these children unnecessarily.' He added that 'peer pressure played a large part in what went on.' The boys were also given a three-month curfew and a 10-year restraining order.
Victim impact
The first victim, aged 15 at the time of the attack, told the court: 'No-one deserves the trauma of being raped.' The second victim, aged 14, described suffering nightmares and said: 'The person I was before the incident has completely gone.' Prosecutor Jodie Mittel KC stated that the first incident occurred after the girl met the defendant on Snapchat, and videos of the rape were shared, leading to her being called a 'slag'. The second rape happened in a field near Fordingbridge recreation ground, also filmed.



