Almost £20m in government cash is set to transform forgotten areas on the edge of Rochdale. The council will accept the Pride in Place funding at its next town hall meeting, securing a total of £19.6m over the next decade.
The money works out at just under £2m per year for 10 years, targeting Hurstead, Smallbridge and Belfield – areas historically overlooked for funding.
Early spending suggestions
No plan has yet been created for how the cash will be spent, but early suggestions include tackling congestion, improving parking, creating new green spaces, enhancing local facilities, and expanding maternity services.
At next week's meeting, town hall bosses are also set to approve the Hurstead, Smallbridge and Belfield Neighbourhood Board, which will establish the spending proposal. The board includes local community figures, MP Paul Waugh, and the council's regeneration boss Coun Daniel Meredith, and is chaired by Laura Rodwell of the M6 Theatre group.
Plan deadline and skepticism
Council documents state they have until November 30, 2026, to submit their four-year plan to the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government. This plan is necessary to unlock the funding. Some £150,000 has already been granted by the government to form the board and generate the plan.
When the funding was announced last year, there was skepticism locally due to years without proper investment. Ken Whittle, who has lived and worked in the area for decades, said: “I’m very skeptical about this. People here are used to getting nothing.”
He added: “Something for the children will be good or a centre for the community to gather could work because, at the moment, that doesn’t exist. Social housing needs work so people can actually come in and have a home. We can’t let it go downhill any further.”
Another skeptic, Dinah Banks, said: “I think people just get on with their own lives. Why bother, look at it, it’s got no life at the moment. I want to see better GP service and walk-in surgeries and not have to travel so far to get there. Maybe a proper community health service. But I won’t hold my breath.”
Next steps
Rochdale MP Paul Waugh has already held consultation events with locals to understand their priorities. Once the new Neighbourhood Board and government cash are formally accepted by the council's cabinet on August 25, local views will shape the future scheme.



