Mecca Bingo has pulled back on plans to operate its Dagenham bingo hall 24 hours a day throughout the week. The move comes after Barking and Dagenham Council announced it is considering stricter gambling policies.
Reasons for extended hours
Mecca had argued for increased operating hours, citing a heightened interest in 'late-night bingo' and pointing to McDonald's and The Gym Group operating 24/7 in the same London East Leisure Park. Current planning permission allows the venue to operate between 8am and 2am, with the operator noting there had been no complaints about these hours.
At the time, a planning statement said: “The premises has operated at this location continuously since 1996 and a 24-hour-a-day operating model is considered appropriate for the venue due to the evolving nature of the leisure and entertainment sector, particularly in urban locations where the applicant has seen a growing demand for flexible, late-night leisure facilities.”
Council consultation
However, the application was withdrawn just three days after the council revealed plans for a public consultation on changes to its gambling licensing policies. The consultation ends on Monday, August 24.
Senior Labour councillor Syed Ghani, responsible for licensing, said: “We want to ensure our Gambling Policy reflects the needs, experiences and priorities of local people. As a council, we have a responsibility to support safe and well-regulated gambling whilst doing everything we can to protect residents, particularly children and vulnerable people, from gambling-related harm.”



