EasyJet CEO Slams EU Border System After Brit Tourists Stranded in Milan
EasyJet CEO Slams EU Border System After Brit Stranded

EasyJet CEO Kenton Jarvis has strongly criticised the European Union's new Entry/Exit System (EES), which led to approximately 100 British passengers missing their flights from Milan in April due to lengthy border delays.

EasyJet CEO Condemns EU Border System

Speaking to ITV News on Thursday, Jarvis described the situation as 'completely unacceptable,' noting that the EU has had since 2017, when Brexit negotiations began, to prepare for the system's implementation. 'They've obviously done a very poor job,' he added.

The digital EES, originally scheduled to launch in October last year but fully operational only from April 10, changes entry requirements for UK travellers to Schengen area countries. British passport holders must now register biometric data, including fingerprints and facial images, at airport kiosks upon arrival. No pre-registration or fee is required.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

The UK Government has warned that the new checks may take longer than the previous manual passport stamping process for non-EU travellers.

Call for Flexible Implementation

Jarvis urged the EU to roll out the system more flexibly, such as during quieter periods. 'Do it when the airports are quiet, when fewer flights are coming in. If you've got a Saturday at the start of bank holiday or half term, then obviously be sensible,' he said.

He acknowledged that problems are 'easing' since the system's introduction.

Milan Incident and Airline Response

In April, around 100 easyJet passengers were left behind in Milan after border delays. Jarvis defended the decision, explaining that flight crews have regulated working hours. 'If you wait too long the crew will go out of hours and not be able to complete the flight, so we have no choice,' he said.

An easyJet spokesperson stated at the time: 'We are aware that some passengers departing from Milan Linate today experienced longer than usual waiting times at passport control and we advised customers due to fly to allow additional time to make their way through the airport.'

The airline held flights where possible and provided free transfers for affected passengers, including those on flight EJU5420 to Manchester. They continue to urge border authorities to use permitted flexibilities to avoid such delays while the EES is implemented.

More information on the EU's Entry/Exit System is available on the UK Government's website.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration