President Donald Trump is facing a brewing mutiny from American voters over his aggressive stance on Iran, an exclusive Daily Mail/JL Partners poll can reveal.
Key Findings from the Poll
In a devastating blow to the White House, more than one in four voters, 26 percent, who backed Trump in 2024 have now turned on the administration's military campaign, declaring that the launch of military action against the Islamic Republic was the wrong move.
The findings come at a perilous moment, as a clear nationwide majority of 52 percent of all registered voters now condemn the military intervention as a mistake. Only 33 percent of Americans still view the strikes as the right choice. And fewer than half of the country backs the decision to go to war with Iran in general.
Just 36 percent of US voters say they actually support the American decision to pursue military action in Iran when looking back, compared to nearly half, 49 percent, who are actively opposed.
Public Opposition to Escalation
The public's appetite for further conflict has completely evaporated, with voters signaling deep resistance to any escalation and expressing serious dissatisfaction with diplomatic efforts.
The poll shows that the US has received a net negative (-14) effectiveness rating from the public for its performance in the Iran ceasefire negotiations. Only 32 percent of Americans rate the administration's performance as effective, compared to 46 percent who brand it ineffective.
Voters are also completely out of step with the Commander-in-Chief's rhetoric. A clear majority, 59 percent of voters, explicitly disagree with Trump's assertion that their financial situations 'don't matter' in Iran negotiations, insisting instead that the financial well-being of everyday Americans should be top of mind for the President when making major foreign policy decisions.
Forty-six percent of Republicans also believe Americans' finances should be top priority along with 70 percent of Democrats.
Ground War Opposition
The public resistance extends directly to the risk of ground war. Forty-seven percent of Americans say they are outright opposed to putting US boots on the ground to reopen the vital Strait of Hormuz shipping lane. Crucially, even among Trump's own base, support for deploying ground forces fails to reach a majority, sitting at 47 percent.
According to the same poll, 59 percent of voters now say the economy is getting worse, a three-point jump from last month. Trump is waving off spiking gas prices amid the ongoing war with Iran that now threatens to drag into the summer.
Pessimistic Outlook
The poll underscores a dark, pessimistic outlook across the American electorate regarding how the crisis will end. Over one-fourth (27 percent) of US voters believe the situation in Iran will lead to a prolonged, grinding stalemate rather than a decisive victory for either side. Just 12 percent of voters believe the conflict will result in a formal peace agreement or treaty, while 22 percent fear it will explode into a broader, catastrophic regional war.
The Daily Mail/JL Partners poll surveyed 1,003 registered voters online from May 15 to 18, 2026, with a margin of error of 3.1 percent.
Background on the Conflict
The exclusive poll follows President Trump's last-minute decision on Monday to call off a full-scale military strike against Iran. The President ordered US forces to stand down just as Middle Eastern leaders intervened, urging a final attempt to negotiate a nuclear agreement.
Trump told reporters on Wednesday that they are in the 'final stages' of negotiations with Iran. 'We'll see what happens. Either we'll have a deal or we're going to do some things that are a little bit nasty, but hopefully that won't happen,' Trump said.
Twelve weeks into a war that the President originally projected would last just six, Trump said he was in no rush to end the conflict. 'I'm in no hurry. Everyone is saying, 'Oh, the midterms.' I'm in no hurry,' Trump said in response to a question about striking a deal to open the Strait of Hormuz.
Vice President JD Vance struck a similar tone on Tuesday during a White House press briefing, arguing that the Iran conflict is not a 'forever war.' He added that the administration is 'very aware' of rising gas prices, noting they are a 'temporary' increase.



