Meghan Markle mocked by fans for 'ridiculous' remarks after UK return
Meghan Markle mocked by fans for 'ridiculous' remarks after UK return

Meghan Markle was savaged by fans after comments she made about her children attending schools in the UK emerged following her bombshell decision to relocate there, six years after leaving it. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are set to move back to Britain at the end of this month.

Meghan's 2022 privacy concerns resurface

Meghan previously raised concerns about the lack of privacy her children could face if they attended school in the UK during a wide-ranging interview with The Cut in 2022. At the time, journalist Allison P. Davis accompanied Meghan as she collected the then-three-year-old Archie from preschool near the family's Montecito home, where the Duchess was able to walk to the gates without a waiting pack of photographers.

Meghan contrasted that experience with what she believed life would have been like across the pond, with Davis writing that the Duchess felt “she'd never be able to do school pickup and drop-off without it being a royal photo call with a press pen of 40 people snapping pictures”.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

The Duchess proceeded to defend her concerns in no uncertain terms, saying: “Sorry, I have a problem with that. That doesn't make me obsessed with privacy. That makes me a strong and good parent protecting my child.”

Children enrolled in British schools

Following the bombshell development that emerged on Wednesday evening, it was reported that the couple have already enrolled Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet in British schools. The Telegraph and Sun – which both broke the story on Wednesday night – reported that Archie, seven, and Lili, five, will start at their new schools in September.

But royal fans criticised the duchess for her previous comments.

Fan backlash on social media

Author Victoria Arbiter wrote on X: “Speaking to The Cut in 2022, Meghan expressed concerns about educating her children in the UK, suggesting she'd 'she'd never be able to do school pickup and drop-off without it being a royal photo call with a press pen of 40 people snapping pictures.' This is quite a change.”

A user said: “The change is money, Victoria. They failed in the United States. There's no other way to put it. This was not a willing move on her part. I'm sure it'll be told in a book or in a documentary at some point in the future.” Another one added sarcastically: “Apparently, privacy didn't pay enough.”

A third one noted: “Amazing that at the time William and Catherine had been taking George and Charlotte to school without any issues at all.” A fourth one said: “This all has one goal in mind and one only, [Harry and Meghan] need the money shot with the king and kids.” A fifth one said: “My theory, they are out of money and need to glom onto the royal connections.”

Public opinion and potential fallout

Harry and Meghan's move is also likely to spark debate as to how the British public will react to the U-turn, after the criticism the Sussexes have made about the Royal Family and the institution of the monarchy. A YouGov poll last month found that only 22% of Britons see Meghan in a positive light, compared with 65% who hold an unfavourable opinion of the former actress, while 33% see Harry positively and 58% negatively.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration