Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are planning to move back to England within weeks, after more than six years living in California. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been based in the United States since 2020, when they quit their royal roles to seek personal and financial freedom from the Royal Family.
Harry and Meghan, along with their children Archie, 7, and Lilibet, 5, are expected to make the move at the end of August, with the children set to start the new school year in the UK in September.
Uncertainty Over Residence and Schooling
For security reasons, it is not known where the Sussex family will live or which schools the children will attend. Some royal commentators have speculated they may move to either Northamptonshire, near Princess Diana's ancestral home of Althorp House, or the Cotswolds.
There will be no change to Harry and Meghan's role and status as private individuals and non-working members of the royal family. The couple has not been offered a "half-in-half-out" option regarding their roles. According to the Telegraph, the family will move to the UK for an "extended period" while retaining their home in Montecito, California, meaning the relocation has not been defined as permanent.
King Charles Reportedly Blindsided
The King, who is still living with cancer, was first made aware of the move on Sunday, only three days before it was made public. He is understood to welcome the opportunity to see more of the family both in a private and personal capacity.
Despite this, a royal source told the Mirror that Charles was "blindsided" by the announcement. The source said: "The King and the entire royal family have undoubtedly been blindsided by the announcement from Harry and Meghan that they are returning to the UK. After saying that he could not see a situation safe enough to bring his wife and children to the UK just over a year ago, the fact Prince Harry is now fully prepared to not only visit but live in the country he left behind is extraordinary. While the King will be delighted at the prospect of seeing his grandchildren on a more regular basis, there will be concerns over the true motivation for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's decision to leave the United States after everything that has occurred since they decided to leave their royal roles."
Former BBC royal correspondent Jennie Bond told Sky News she found the way the announcement was made unusual. She said: "If I was the King, I'd actually be thinking, 'Hang on, you came to tea with me, and we sat down and we chatted, and you didn't even mention this?' I find it entirely odd. I wish that they wouldn't operate in this kind of secret way. Why didn't they just put out a clear statement? Just tell us the facts, but we are left here just surmising and guessing at their reasons."
Popularity and Security Concerns
Harry and Meghan remain some of the most divisive members of the Royal Family. Their popularity drastically decreased in 2020 when they quit their royal roles and took a further dive in 2023, just after Harry's memoir Spare was released. However, Harry's favourability with the UK public appears to be increasing in recent months as he works to mend his relationship with the Royal Family, particularly his father King Charles.
The announcement of their move comes after it was revealed that Harry is still waiting for a decision on his security arrangements in the UK. Harry had been told he would be granted a risk management board at the end of 2025 that would reassess if he should be given automatic protection each time he visits the UK. The review, due to be carried out in March by an independent body, has yet to take place. It has emerged that the backlog is partly due to a struggle to cover high-level security for politicians, including nine ex-Prime Ministers. A temporary pause was ordered for about four months by officials to cope with demand.



