Care worker struck off after court convictions for assault and drink-driving
Care worker struck off after assault and drink-driving convictions

An adult care worker has been struck off the care register after being convicted of three criminal offences while employed as a care assistant. Tracy Louise Thomas, who worked at Glenburnie Lodge in Wenvoe, Vale of Glamorgan, was convicted of offences including assaulting an emergency worker.

Convictions over 18 months

A Social Care Wales fitness to practise panel heard Thomas was convicted of three offences in just over 18 months. At the time of Wednesday's hearing she continued to work at the care home, having held her role there for two years and four months.

Thomas told the panel she had not realised her behaviour outside of work could affect her job. She said: "I used to think that what I did outside of work was up to me. Realising the impact that the incidents have had has been an eye-opener."

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Prior to the conclusion of the hearing she said it would be devastating to have to leave her job as a result of her actions.

Details of the offences

The panel heard that on June 6, 2024, Thomas was convicted at Cardiff Crown Court of driving a motor vehicle while under the influence of excess alcohol. On May 16, 2025, at Cardiff Magistrates' Court, she was convicted of assault by beating of an emergency worker. On December 5, 2025, she was convicted at Cardiff Magistrates' Court of using threatening words.

Thomas was also handed a conditional discharge for six months in May 2025 at Cardiff Magistrates' Court having pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly in Cardiff on April 12, 2025.

Thomas admitted the allegations at a pre-hearing review and the panel chair, Jeff Goodman, said they found the facts to be proved. Thomas had a previous good history and no previous findings by Social Care Wales.

Further incidents in July 2026

The panel also heard there had been two further incidents since the convictions, both taking place in July 2026. On July 19 Thomas was arrested for the assault of her 29-year-old daughter. She was subsequently released and no further action was taken. On July 30 there was a further incident which led to police being called to her home. Again no further action was taken. The panel heard alcohol was a feature of both incidents.

Giving evidence to the panel, Thomas said she deeply regretted the trouble she had been involved with in her personal life. She said she had assumed that anything she did outside of work was her own business but realised now it was a reflection of her character. She said she had experienced "extremely severe distress" in her life but reassured the panel that the care she'd given to those at Glenburnie Lodge had never been compromised.

"I have always been extremely professional and I'm deeply passionate about giving care," she said.

Panel decision and removal order

She told the panel that such behaviour would not happen again and said she intended to use the hearing as a turning point. Thomas told the panel she did not think the police should have been called to the two incidents in July and said on the second occasion a neighbour had called the police after hearing her and her husband arguing. She added it had been a shock when she received an email about the Social Care Wales investigation while she was in work.

Thomas added: "I'm committed to supporting vulnerable people and I'm deeply sorry for the actions outside of work that brought me here. I would like to continue with my role because I love what I do. It would be devastating to lose my role as a carer and it would be very sad for me. I do regret that this happened and I'm truly sorry for the impact it has had."

Afaih Radzie, who had worked with Thomas during the rehabilitation requirement days she was required to do after one of her convictions, also gave evidence to the panel. Ms Radzie said Thomas had reflected on her behaviour and said she would like to drink moderately going forward. She added Thomas had completed 15 more sessions than she had been required to do, saying she was motivated to improve and address her issues. Ms Radzie went on to say she was concerned when the two further incidents in July took place. "My concern is the drinking part," she said. "I believe she is able to drink and not get into trouble but there's moments when she drinks too much and it becomes a problem."

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration

Following a two-hour deliberation, Mr Goodman said the panel had concluded Thomas' fitness to practise was impaired by way of her criminal convictions and serious misconduct. Concluding the one-day hearing, panel chair Mr Goodman confirmed a decision had been made to impose an immediate removal order, meaning Thomas will be suspended from the professional register.