UK to Hold First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
UK to Hold First National Day for Terrorism Victims

The UK will hold its first ever national day to recognise and honour the victims and survivors of terrorism.

Hundreds of victims, survivors, bereaved families and emergency responders will attend a ceremony in London on Friday to mark the new National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism. A two-minute silence will be observed at the ceremony.

Campaigning and Recent Attacks

It follows years of campaigning from victims and survivors who have sought to raise awareness of the impacts of terrorism.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

In the past 12 months the UK has suffered terror attacks at Heaton Park Synagogue and Golders Green in London. The attack at Heaton Park on October 2 last year, saw terrorist Jihad Al Shamie, 35, drive his Kia Picanto into the gates of the synagogue, on Middleton Road in Crumpsall. He then began attacking people with a knife whilst wearing a fake suicide belt. Worshippers Melvin Cravitz, 66, and Adrian Daulby, 53, lost their lives, while Al Shamie was shot dead by armed police.

Next year will also see the 10th anniversaries of five terrorist attacks in the UK - including the Manchester Arena bombing which killed 22 people and injured hundreds of others.

Official Statements on the New Day

Speaking ahead of National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said: "I am proud that we now have a national day to honour victims and survivors of terrorism.

"There is something remarkable about how we come together as a country in those darkest moments. As time passes, most people go back to their lives, but for those who lived through the trauma, there is no return to normality.

"Today matters because it says you are not alone. You have not been forgotten. This is a moment to remember the loved ones lost and anyone who has survived the very worst of humanity."

Travis Frain OBE, a survivor of the Westminster Bridge attack in 2017, said: "I’m pleased to see this National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism come to fruition, after many hard years of campaigning.

"This should be a date when we come together as a country to remember those affected by terrorism and set our sights to the future, to understand how we can all play our part in preventing further radicalisation and defeating the spread of violent extremism. It is my hope that this event will be one that we can build on in the years to come, demonstrating clearly that the UK stands firm in the face of terrorism."

Victoria Cummock, widow of John Cummock, who was killed in the bombing of Pan Am 103 over Lockerbie in 1988, said: "We are profoundly grateful to the government for establishing this National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism, recognising the experiences of those affected by terror attacks both recent and historic.

"Each year, it will enable people across the country to gather in solidarity and fraternity to give voice to the hundreds killed, remember their loved ones, and recognise the survivors and responders whose lives were forever changed.

"We take comfort knowing the Support Hub will provide community-wide trauma-informed care, empowering us on our road to healing and recovery. Together we can turn trauma into positive purpose and leave a legacy that teaches the world a lesson in humanity."

Support Hub for Victims

A support hub for victims and survivors of terrorism was launched earlier this year. The Hub provides specialist, trauma-informed support for anyone affected by a terrorist incident and can be accessed here.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration