Girl fights for life after three family members die in sea off West Sussex
Girl critical after three family members die in West Sussex sea

A girl is fighting for her life in hospital after three of her family members died following an incident in the sea off West Sussex.

Emergency services were called to reports of four people in difficulty in the water near Shoreham Fort in Shoreham-by-Sea on Tuesday afternoon. It is believed the family members went into the water for a swim.

Sussex Police confirmed that a man, a woman and a teenage girl died, while a younger girl from the family remains in a critical condition in hospital. The victims have not been named, but their next of kin have been informed and are being supported by specialist officers.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Emergency response and official statements

Chief Superintendent James Collis said: "At around 2.40pm this afternoon, emergency services were called to reports of four people in difficulty in the water close to Shoreham Fort. Sussex Police officers supported His Majesty’s Coastguard and the RNLI, as all four people were brought ashore. Tragically, despite the best efforts of paramedics, three people – a man, woman and teenage girl – have sadly been confirmed deceased. A younger girl has been taken to hospital and is in a critical condition."

Several ambulances, two air ambulances, an HM Coastguard helicopter, rescue teams from Littlehampton, Newhaven and Shoreham, and the RNLI lifeboat attended the scene. Police said the coastguard has searched the water and is not looking for anyone else.

Community reaction and local warnings

A resident who asked to remain anonymous told The Telegraph that the family had been living in tents by the harbour front for a couple of weeks. Alan Facer, a fisherman from Hove, noted the wind was south-westerly and the tide would have been quite high at 3pm, adding: "I was thinking the other day that someone is going to get hurt around here."

Joss Loader, who represents Shoreham Beach Residents’ Association on Adur District Council, told the Press Association: "There’s just a really strong sense of shock, obviously people are really concerned for the young girl. A small tightly knit community with a very deep sense of shock and that sense of disbelief you get after a tragedy because it has come out of nowhere." She said the weather was calm and "it was a perfectly normal day."

Anna Peacock, 81, who lives near Kingston Beach, said emergency services were on the scene quickly and warned: "People come down to swim, particularly in the summertime and I don’t think they realise there’s a riptide along here. It’s very inviting to come to the sea, but the tide could carry you out in seconds."

Political response and ongoing support

East Worthing and Shoreham MP Tom Rutland said in a statement on Facebook: "I am deeply saddened by the tragic news that three people have died following an incident in the water near Shoreham Fort this afternoon. My thoughts are with the family and friends of those who have lost their lives, and I know the whole community here in Shoreham will be hoping and praying for the recovery of the young girl receiving medical treatment in hospital."

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration