Police probe after man found dead at Charlton Athletic's stadium
Police probe after man found dead at Charlton's stadium

An investigation has been launched after a 33-year-old man was found dead at Charlton Athletic's football stadium.

Police were called to The Valley in south-east London on Tuesday morning following concerns for the welfare of a person.

The Metropolitan Police said the man was pronounced dead at the scene. His family have been informed and are being supported by specialist officers.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Detectives investigating

Detectives are investigating whether the man may have fallen from a height. His death is being treated as unexpected while inquiries continue.

Charlton Athletic expressed its “deepest sympathies” to the man’s family and said the club would support police with their inquiries.

Club statement

A spokesperson for Charlton Athletic said in a statement: “Charlton Athletic are supporting the police with their enquiries following the discovery of a deceased individual at The Valley on Tuesday morning.

“Police were called to the stadium today after an incident that occurred in the early hours of Monday morning. A male was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.

“The death remains under investigation. Anyone with information, or who may have witnessed the incident, is asked to contact police on 101, quoting reference 2809/18AUG.”

Fixture relocated

Charlton also announced that their under-21 fixture against Bolton, which was scheduled to take place at The Valley on Tuesday afternoon, had been relocated to their training ground at Sparrows Lane.

The man’s body was found just days after Charlton’s opening Championship game of the season. “Everyone at Charlton Athletic would like to express their deepest sympathies and heartfelt condolences to the individual's family, friends and loved ones at this incredibly difficult time,” the statement added.

“The club are continuing to assist the authorities with their enquiries and respectfully ask that the privacy of those affected is respected.

“There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing on the part of the club.

“Charlton Athletic would also like to thank its staff for the professionalism they have shown while dealing with a particularly difficult and distressing situation.”

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration