Greater Manchester Police (GMP) have ruled out murder as a line of enquiry following the death of a man in Rochdale. Nathan Haigh, 31, was found unresponsive by emergency services at a flat on Great Howarth, near Wardle, just before 7.40pm last Tuesday (August 11). He was pronounced dead shortly after, despite the best efforts of paramedics.
Arrest and Release
A 37-year-old woman had been arrested on suspicion of murder as detectives explored 'several lines of enquiries in what initially appears to be suspicious circumstances'. In an update issued this evening (Wednesday, August 19), the force said that 'following extensive enquiries, detectives have ruled out murder as a line of enquiry.' The 37-year-old woman arrested on suspicion of murder had been released, and remains on bail for assault, the force said in a statement. Detectives 'continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding Nathan's death pending the full results of the post-mortem examination', they added.
Police Statement
Detective Inspector Georgina Fearn, from the force's Rochdale CID, said: “Specialist officers continue to support Nathan’s family, and our thoughts remain with them at this difficult time. Nathan was a young man in his prime and his sudden death came as a shock to those who knew him. From the outset, we remained open-minded regarding the cause of death and explored several possible lines of enquiry as part of our investigation. Our enquiries have established that murder is no longer being treated as a line of enquiry. We continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding Nathan’s death while awaiting the full results of the post-mortem examination. We understand that incidents of this nature may cause concern within the community; however, we do not believe there is any wider risk to the public.”
Family Tributes
Following his death, forensic officers were seen examining the ground-floor flat where Mr Haigh is thought to have lived. It's understood he had no children and had previously worked as a roofer. It is thought he had lived on the estate for around 20 years. Mr Haigh's mother, Keeley Greenwood, spoke of her heartbreak on Facebook. She has set up a GoFundMe page to raise funds to give her son 'the send off he deserves'. Ms Greenwood wrote: "It is with the heaviest of hearts that I share the heartbreaking news that my beautiful son, Nathan Haigh, tragically passed away on 11th August 2026. We are now trying to raise funds to give Nathan the send off he deserves during this incredibly difficult time. Any donation no matter how big or small, would mean so much to our family and would be deeply appreciated. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your kindness, love and support. Any further details will be updated as soon as we have more information." She added: "RIP my son. I will always love you Nathan Haigh." A number of other people posted tributes on social media.



