Liverpool midfielder Stefan Bajcetic has been told he needs to terminate his contract in order to secure a move back to former club Celta Vigo.
Bajcetic has struggled with injuries over the past few years and is not part of Andoni Iraola's plans this season. The 21-year-old came through the Celta Vigo academy before joining the Reds in 2020, and he is now wanted back in Spain.
Celta Vigo lead the race
Having previously been linked with Getafe, Vigo are now reportedly leading the race. Bajcetic made an impact under Jurgen Klopp's management but hasn't featured for the first team in over two years, due to injuries and loan spells.
He has spent time away with Red Bull Salzburg and Las Palmas, and Liverpool now want to seal a permanent deal. There is a sticking point, however, with Bajcetic being asked to walk away from his Liverpool contract, which doesn't expire until June 2027.
Free transfer proposal
Spanish newspaper Faro de Vigo report that his former club want him to terminate his deal early - like Mohamed Salah did this summer before joining Trabzonspor - and re-join on a free transfer. They would then put him into their under-21s side initially as a way to nurse him back to full fitness.
Liverpool have just waved goodbye to Curtis Jones, who completed a £30million (€35m) transfer to Inter Milan on Friday. But they are still keen to find a new club for Bajcetic, who hasn't delivered on his initial promise.
Coach's comments
"If he's happy and we can reach an agreement, it would be a good situation, but I'm not thinking about that right now," Celta Vigo head coach Claudio Giráldez said. "He's a homegrown player; I don't talk about players we don't have."
"If I talk about any of them, it's those who have been here before because we understand that we always have a stronger connection, and on top of that, we have a very good relationship. I coached him. If it happens, great, but I don't talk about players we don't have."
Transfer window plans
Offloading unwanted players is part of Liverpool's transfer plan for the remainder of the summer transfer window, which closes on September 1.
"Some deals you have to wait until the end," Iraola explained in an interview with Sky Sports this week. "But the end is the important picture, the one we will have on September 1, because it is true that we are still quite thin."
Paris Saint-Germain star Bradley Barcola remains the number one transfer target, but Liverpool have also been chasing Brighton winger Yankuba Minteh. Brighton have rejected a second bid worth £60m for Minteh and want £70m for the former Newcastle player.



