Cardiff City manager Brian Barry-Murphy has dismissed a reported link with Dutch midfielder Melle Meulensteen as "far-fetched" as the Bluebirds continue their search for new signings with two weeks of the transfer window remaining.
Cardiff had been linked with the 27-year-old Go Ahead Eagles midfielder, who was reportedly left out of his side's weekend draw with Feyenoord amid interest in his services. However, sources indicated to WalesOnline on Sunday night that those reports were wide of the mark.
Manager's response
Asked about the speculation by BBC Radio Wales following Monday night's 1-1 draw with Wrexham, Barry-Murphy said: "I don't know anything about that. We have been linked with loads of different things, but it just seems a lot of them are pretty far-fetched."
Cardiff remain firmly in the market for reinforcements before the window closes, with a winger, striker and deep-lying physical midfielder among the profiles being considered. Barry-Murphy also refused to rule out a centre-back addition, given the defensive injury problems currently facing the Bluebirds.
Defensive concerns
Will Fish is facing a lengthy absence after undergoing surgery on a hernia, while Dylan Lawlor and Callum Chambers are also unavailable. That has left Cardiff short of defensive options at the beginning of their return to the Championship, although Barry-Murphy stressed after the Wrexham game that the club's recruitment strategy had not changed because of the injuries.
"I think we need to improve all areas of the team still, so I think that's clear," he said. "We don't need loads of numbers, but we need to improve the squad. It's just difficult for us at the moment because all of our injured players are coming from the defensive area."
Recruitment so far
Cardiff's summer recruitment has so far been relatively limited. Jack Moylan is the only new outfield permanent signing, having arrived from Lincoln City on a four-year deal, while Nathan Trott has returned permanently after his loan spell last season. Liverpool left-back Calum Scanlon has also returned to the club on loan for another season.
The Bluebirds had been pursuing Chelsea midfielder Omari Kellyman, but that deal appears to have fallen through after Chelsea opted to pursue a permanent sale. The club are now approaching the final two weeks of the window with further work required to shape the squad for the Championship campaign.
Deliberate approach
Barry-Murphy has admitted that Cardiff are perhaps being slow in the transfer market, but insisted that is a deliberate approach rather than an indication that recruitment is not taking place. The manager does not want the club to make short-term decisions simply to increase the number of players available to him.
"If we have certain profile parameters in mind that we want to bring somebody in and they don't become available because of whatever reason, then I'm not keen to have a knee-jerk reaction and just bring somebody in who may be good for a couple of days or a week or two, but for the rest of the season is not who we would want," he said. "I think we have to be very clear on who we're bringing into the club, on behalf of the supporters who pay so much money and the owner who pays so much money, that it is somebody who's going to improve the club, both now and in the long term, but be value for investment."
Pressed on whether Cardiff would therefore rather wait for the right player than sign somebody simply for the sake of it, Barry-Murphy replied: "Exactly."
The manager's comments mean Cardiff's transfer activity is likely to remain focused on finding the right profiles rather than simply adding bodies to the squad. There will also be movement in the opposite direction before September 1, with Cardiff actively looking to send several senior players out on loan.
Dakarai Mafico and Tanatswa Nyakuhwa are among those expected to seek temporary moves, while Roko Simic and Kion Etete are also likely to leave on loan if suitable opportunities emerge. Simic has been linked with a return to Croatia with former club Lokomotiva, while League Two side Colchester United are among the clubs to have shown an interest in Etete. For now, though, the focus remains on bringing players into the building.



