Sinner and Alcaraz face US Open fitness race
Sinner, Alcaraz face US Open fitness race

The US Open gets underway in less than two weeks' time, but the fate of the two most recent title winners remains uncertain. Reigning champion Carlos Alcaraz has been sidelined by a wrist injury since April, and recently delayed his return to competition when he withdrew from the Cincinnati Open. Meanwhile, world No. 1 Jannik Sinner, who lifted the trophy in Flushing Meadows in 2023 and 2024, also missed the Masters 1000 in Cincinnati with a knee injury, and has yet to decide whether he will compete in the final Grand Slam tournament of the season.

Sinner's recovery progress

Sinner has not played a match since he successfully defended his Wimbledon title last month. He made a scheduling decision to miss the Canadian Open, but was expected to return in Cincinnati, before knee discomfort forced him out of the tournament.

The Italian has been undergoing shockwave therapy on his knee this month, and has been visiting the JMedical Centre in Turin to keep track of his progress. Now, according to Gazzetta dello Sport, Sinner is due for some final tests before deciding whether to compete in the US Open.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Final tests and cautious approach

The world No. 1 has been back on the practice courts, and is set to return to Juventus' medical centre for final checkups with his team. Sinner is only expected to head to New York if he gets the all clear that he is fully fit to compete.

For now, the five-time Grand Slam champion is said to be "moderately satisfied" with his level on the practice court. But Sinner will want to be cautious when making a final call, especially given the hot and humid conditions at the US Open.

The 25-year-old wilted in the heat during a shock second-round exit at the French Open in May, when he led Juan Manuel Cerundolo by two sets and 5-1 in the third before losing. He bounced back to win Wimbledon, but won't want to be carrying any niggles in Flushing Meadows.

Alcaraz's decision

Meanwhile, his greatest rival, Alcaraz, is also set to make a final decision on travelling to New York this week. The world No. 2 has been ramping up his training sessions and, over the weekend, hit with Holger Rune in Murcia.

The Spaniard injured his wrist at the Barcelona Open in April and has not played since. Alcaraz has already missed the French Open and Wimbledon, but hoped to return in Cincinnati to get some best-of-three set matches under his belt before heading to the US Open.

Alcaraz ultimately skipped the Cincinnati Open, but could go straight into best-of-five set competition in Flushing Meadows if he and his team believe he is ready to compete. Otherwise, the seven-time Major winner is expected to return at the Laver Cup in London from September 25 to 27.

During Alcaraz's four-month injury layoff, Sinner has said on multiple occasions that "tennis needs Carlos". But whether both men will be fully fit and ready to go at the US Open later this month remains to be seen.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration