Max Verstappen has signed a new contract with Red Bull that will keep him at the team until 2030, ending months of speculation about his future in Formula One. The four-time world champion had been linked with a move to Mercedes or McLaren, and had even suggested he might leave the sport entirely.
Verstappen's concerns over F1 regulations
Verstappen has been the strongest critic of the sport's new rules, which require a 50-50 split between electrical and internal combustion engine (ICE) power. He had previously indicated he might walk away from F1 over the changes.
On Thursday, ahead of his home Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort, Red Bull confirmed the Dutchman had signed a deal until 2030. Verstappen, 28, said he had been convinced by discussions with F1 and the FIA about the direction of the sport.
"I love racing and I had a lot of very good discussions with F1 and the FIA and I think we are slowly working towards something that becomes better and better," Verstappen said in his pre-race press conference.
"From my side, I adapted. I accepted the situation we are in – I am not happy with it – but the conversations I had with F1 and FIA are trying to make little improvements for next year and the year after."
Changes to engine rules and V8 return
Changes have been announced for the next two seasons, with more power being generated by the ICE. FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem has expressed his desire to bring a V8 engine back to the sport in 2030 – for the first time since 2013.
Verstappen said the new contract leaves the door open for a potential V8 return. "Plus the year that I signed to leaving the door open for a potential V8 return. I'm willing to accept that at the moment it is not fantastic but I still love racing."
"It is still an F1 car. This is still the pinnacle of motorsport and I want to be here."
Verstappen's commitment to Red Bull
Verstappen fell just short of a fifth successive world championship last season, losing out to Lando Norris at the final race. He has yet to win in 2026 and is sixth in the standings, 110 points behind leader Kimi Antonelli.
His previous Red Bull contract ran until 2028, with performance-related break clauses offering a potential exit. The 28-year-old expressed his desire to finish his career with the Milton Keynes-based team, with whom he started in F1 as a 17-year-old in 2015.
"You need to feel good where you're at. I feel very good in this team, I have the belief in the people that we can get back to the top. Time will tell," Verstappen said.
"I still want to win races, I am hungry to win more, plus Red Bull allows me to do things outside of F1. So the whole package is a big plus."
"I like it here. It would be a great story if that were possible – being picked up by Red Bull and finishing your career in one team. I don't feel the need to change just to change or drive in another colour. It would be an amazing story."



