Teófimo López will challenge Rolando 'Rolly' Romero for the World Boxing Association welterweight title on Saturday night at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, moving up to 147lb in pursuit of a belt in a third weight class. The fight, broadcast globally on Dazn pay-per-view, pits López, a former lightweight and junior-welterweight champion, against Romero, who holds titles at 135lb, 140lb, and now welterweight after his upset win over Ryan Garcia last year.
Friendship Ends at Contract Signing
López and Romero's friendship, which spanned over a decade through amateur tournaments and sparring sessions in Las Vegas, ended the moment they signed to fight each other, López says. "It disappeared the moment we signed the contract," he said. "He didn't need to take it, especially after the layoff he's had. The fact that he took the fight means he truly believes he can beat me. I take that as an insult to myself."
Their bond included mutual support. After López's decision win over Masayoshi Nakatani in July 2019, Romero urged him to continue when López considered quitting. Months later, López won his first world title by stopping Richard Commey. In return, López sent Romero $5,000 when Romero was struggling financially, refusing repayment.
López's Road to Redemption
López enters the fight seven months after a one-sided defeat to Shakur Stevenson, who swept the scorecards 119-109 and took López's WBO and lineal 140lb titles before a record crowd of 21,324 at Madison Square Garden. "I shouldn't have taken the fight," López told the Guardian, citing difficulties making the 140lb limit and team misalignment. His father and head trainer, Teófimo López Sr., said the defeat "saved" them. López called the result "the best thing that could have happened to us."
López's résumé includes a 2020 upset of Vasiliy Lomachenko and a 2023 win over Josh Taylor to become a two-division champion. He has not stopped an opponent since Pedro Campa in 2022. "It's too late to dip my foot in and try to test the waters," he said. "This is testing the waters. How can I consider myself 'The Takeover' if I'm not taking over?"
Romero's Transformation
Romero (17-2, 13 KOs) won the WBA belt in May 2025 by dropping Garcia with a left hook in the second round and earning a unanimous decision. He has since credited a recommitment to Christian faith for a lifestyle change. "I was the biggest womanizer. I was the biggest trash talker, the most aggressive, the most violent," Romero told reporters Thursday. "I done gave everything up for my love for Christ. I haven't had sex in 14 months. I gave it all up till marriage. Y'all don't notice I don't curse no more. I don't do anything anymore."
Saturday will be Romero's first appearance in 15 months and his first title defense. López expects a cautious start, predicting a "chess match" before exchanges intensify. The styles suggest patience may not last: López has faster hands and broader technical skills, while Romero is the heavier puncher and more willing to hold his ground.
Asked what he stands to lose, López said, "I don't think I lose. You just aim for greatness. That's it." The fight will determine whether that self-belief fuels another revival or another unfulfilled promise, with his former friend standing in the way.



