Burnham wants men's World Cup back in UK by 2042
Burnham wants men's World Cup back in UK by 2042

Andy Burnham has said he wants to bring the men's World Cup to the UK in 2042, returning the tournament to Britain for the first time in almost eight decades. During informal discussions at No 10 North in Manchester on Friday, the prime minister told regional mayors he was keen for the tournament to be played in the British Isles.

Historic return and 1966 legacy

The World Cup took place in England in 1966, when the home side beat West Germany 4-2 in the final after extra time – the only time the country has either hosted or won the contest. Burnham, a keen football fan who has a season ticket at Everton, said earlier this month that it was “insane” only one World Cup had been held anywhere in the UK.

It is understood an application to stage the competition could also involve other home nations, none of which have hosted any World Cup games. In recent years, joint bids between countries for major football tournaments have become more common. Alongside the Republic of Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will host the men's European championships in 2028.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Bid prospects and Fifa rules

Work has not yet begun on any official bid for the 2042 event but it is understood Downing Street would support the FA should it choose to pursue it. Sources say Burnham has “broad aspirations” and “a general ambition” to bring more major footballing events to the UK.

England made a doomed bid to host the 2018 World Cup, which was awarded to Russia amid allegations of corruption. In 2014, while serving in the shadow cabinet, Burnham said he was uncomfortable that the tournament was still allowed to take place in Russia after its annexation of Crimea.

Under Fifa regulations, no European country would be eligible to stage the World Cup until 2042. In 2000, Fifa introduced rules that meant the tournament would be rotated around its six continental confederations. It led to South Africa hosting its first World Cup in 2010, but the strict system was scrapped in October 2007.

Future tournaments and wider ambitions

Countries are not allowed to bid to stage a World Cup if either of the previous two tournaments have taken place on the same continent. The 2030 World Cup will be hosted by Spain, Portugal and Morocco, with some early matches taking place in South America to mark the tournament's centenary. The first World Cup was played in Uruguay in 1930.

Fifa has also confirmed that the 2034 tournament will take place in Saudi Arabia. The location of the 2038 World Cup has not yet been announced, but under the rules, it is likely to be played in North America or Oceania, which includes Australia and New Zealand.

Burnham is also understood to have spoken about the possibility of hosting the Olympic and Paralympic Games in the north of England in the 2040s at Friday's meeting. UK Sport was commissioned to assess whether a bid would be viable earlier this year under the previous prime minister, Keir Starmer.

It is understood that the government is considering the possibility of a “multi-city bid” in an attempt to spread any economic benefit between several northern cities. A government spokesperson said: “The UK is committed to delivering world-class major sporting events with pride, with the Tour de France and Tour de France Femmes Grands Départs 2027 and Uefa Euro 2028 secured, and active bids for the 2029 World Athletics Championships and 2035 Women's World Cup. As the prime minister has made clear, we will continue to pursue sporting events that bring communities together, drive regional growth and create jobs across the country.”

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration