The Chelsea Flower Show has faced harsh criticism this year, with attendees branding it 'awful' and overcrowded by camera-wielding influencers. Critics are calling on the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) to revamp the event, arguing that it has lost its focus on horticulture.
Celebrity Presence Overshadows Gardens
The world-famous show, which attracts over 150,000 visitors and millions of TV viewers, has long been a magnet for celebrities. This year, the private showing on Monday saw a star-studded lineup including King Charles III, Sir David Beckham, Grayson Perry, Kim Cattrall, Dominic West, Brian May, Bill Bailey, Aisling Bea, and Judi Dench, alongside numerous B-listers and TikTok influencers. However, gardening enthusiasts have grown weary of the pomp and spectacle.
One garden enthusiast told Gardens Illustrated that they were 'less interested in what some random comedian's mother thought' in viral social media interviews, preferring to hear from garden designers and regular presenters. Another attendee remarked, 'I do find it hilariously funny listening to conversations between people trying to outdo each other on their gardening "knowledge," which is often incorrect! Chelsea needs to refocus on its roots and true gardeners.'
Criticism of Elitism and Crowds
Many visitors described the show as 'elitist' and disconnected from its original purpose. One attendee lamented, 'It's a circus! We want to see the gardens, the designers, and the exhibitors who put so much effort into their work, not the celebrities who only go there to be seen.'
Nature influencer Sarah Parry took to X to express her frustration, stating, 'Not my usual tweet but I want a little rant. I got gifted 2 tickets to the Chelsea Flower Show so went with a friend yesterday. We paid for an overnight stay in a hotel, train fares and food. I can honestly say it was AWFUL. It was unbelievably busy with huge numbers of people making it impossible to walk - we were just shoved along by the crowd. I couldn't see any of the show gardens because the fight to see them was 5 people deep. Even if you did get to the front you were being pressured to move on. We gave up after 3 hours and went to the Chelsea Physic Garden along the road which was a much welcome oasis of calm. The organisers of the show should be ashamed of themselves. Visitor numbers need limiting and I feel so sorry for anyone for whom this was a first time long awaited visit.'
Another X user echoed these sentiments, describing a 'sense of disappointment was monumental when I discovered the meagre eight gardens and handful of balcony gardens in the vast beautiful grounds of the Royal Chelsea Hospital. Instead of a cacophony of flowers there was a cacophony of stalls and floral attire selling toot to the masses blocking the sparse gardens from sight.' She called for a limit on visitors, adding that the 'endless posturing was at odds with what should have been a natural and inspiring experience.'
Call for Change
A disgruntled attendee who visited last year said, 'Went last year for the 1st time as gifted tickets... NEVER AGAIN !!!! Far too many people, you couldn't get anywhere near the displays and was just hearing herded round like cattle. AWFUL.'
The Daily Mail has contacted the RHS for comment. Critics hope that the organisers will heed these complaints and implement changes to restore the show's focus on gardening excellence.



