Harry and Meghan may not stay in UK long after move, sources say
Harry and Meghan may not stay in UK long, sources say

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex may not remain in the UK for long after relocating there later this month, according to sources close to the couple.

On Wednesday, it was revealed that Harry and Meghan would be establishing a British home for the first time in more than six years. The move is intended to ensure their two children, Archie and Lilibet, start the new school year in the UK, though the specific location has not been disclosed.

Move may not be permanent

A report in the Sunday Times suggests the return may not be permanent. Two sources described as close to the Sussexes told the paper the couple did not expect the move to be "for ever".

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

One source said: "It'll be an extended period of time — it could be six months, it could be a year, it could be more — I don't think even they know yet."

The source added: "They might suddenly go: 'Why don't we try Canada for a while? Why don't we try Australia?'"

Such a rapid departure would be surprising given Harry's repeated recent statements about how much he misses the UK. The move is also expected to make it easier for the duke to visit his father, King Charles, and introduce his family to other relatives, though hopes for a reconciliation with his brother William may be premature.

Royal rift continues

Royal expert Duncan Lanscombe told Metro earlier that he "can't see any reconciliation with William as far as things stand" after the accusations Harry and Meghan made during their time away.

He said: "Harry told [ITV] in his interview, that the ball was effectively in the royal court – it was for them to reach out.

"I think William feels the exact opposite and that he's owed an apology, his wife's owed an apology, and if Harry and Meghan don't give that apology and make the effort, I don't think there's any hope for the end of the rift."

It was previously reported that Meghan had been offered a role in the Netflix series The Gentlemen, created by her friend Guy Ritchie, for her return to the UK. However, reports suggest this is no longer the case following backlash to the casting.

Royal author Tina Brown wrote on X yesterday: "I have heard that Meghan Markle's role in Guy Ritchie's Netflix series The Gentlemen is OFF.

"Public backlash was too fierce. This does not bode well for Meghan's acting comeback in the UK."

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration