Teen denies murder of Bobby Bloomfield in Essex crash
Teen denies murder of Bobby Bloomfield in Essex crash

A 15-year-old boy has pleaded not guilty to the murder of 12-year-old Bobby Bloomfield, who died after being struck by a car in Essex. His trial is scheduled to begin at Basildon Crown Court on November 9.

Fatal Collision in Pilgrims Hatch

Police were called to Ashwells Road in Pilgrims Hatch at 5.40pm on June 7 following reports of a vehicle colliding with a child. Bobby suffered severe injuries and later died in hospital.

The teenage defendant, who cannot be named due to legal restrictions, appeared in the dock at Basildon Crown Court on Monday. When asked for his plea to the murder charge, he responded "not guilty, your honour".

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Second Defendant Charged

William Lunnon, a 43-year-old man from Ashwells Road, is also charged with murder. He appeared via video-link at the hearing, which was attended by Bobby's relatives. He was not asked to enter a plea.

Prosecutors told an earlier hearing at Chelmsford Magistrates' Court that Bobby and his friends had been on private land when Lunnon approached them and asked them to leave. It is alleged the boys ran off but were pursued by the two defendants in a car driven by the teenager.

Trial Set for November

Both defendants, who remain in custody, are due to stand trial at Basildon Crown Court from November 9, with proceedings expected to last up to six weeks. Judge Samantha Cohen stated that a High Court judge would preside over the trial.

In a statement issued via Essex Police, Bobby's family said: "Losing a child is every parent's nightmare. We are living that nightmare and no words can ever explain how we are feeling. Bobby brought light and life into all our lives and we have lost that forever."

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration