The gunman shot dead after opening fire at a White House checkpoint has been identified as a 21-year-old man who believed he was Jesus Christ, according to multiple law enforcement sources.
Identification and Incident
Nasire Best, 21, was gunned down after exchanging fire with Secret Service agents in Washington, D.C., on Saturday evening. Best was seen pacing up and down 17th Street Northwest moments before he pulled out a revolver, sources told the New York Post. The Maryland native allegedly had a documented history of mental health concerns and had previous encounters with security agencies at the White House, NBC reported.
Sequence of Events
He approached the Secret Service booth and pulled out a weapon from his bag before unleashing a hail of bullets. The White House was immediately placed on lockdown as President Donald Trump was inside, although he was unharmed. An adult civilian was injured during the shooting, although authorities said they were unclear if they were wounded by the suspect or during crossfire.
Journalists gathered at the White House reported hearing up to 30 shots which left them scrambling for cover. Members of the media were seen running for cover after gunshots could be heard close to the White House. Reporters on the North Lawn were rushed into the press briefing room as Secret Service agents shouted 'get down'. The shooting happened just beyond the perimeter of the White House on Saturday evening.
Prior Encounters
It has since emerged that Best previously came to the attention of the Secret Service and had violated an earlier court order requiring him to stay away from the White House grounds, NBC reports. He was detained by Secret Service on June 26, 2025, for flagging down agents and making threats, and two weeks later on July 10, 2025, for entering a restricted area.
During the June incident, Best blocked an entry lane at the White House. He was detained by the Secret Service after claiming he was 'God' and then committed to the Psychiatric Institute of Washington for a mental evaluation. The following month he was arrested once again after he attempted to enter a driveway at the White House. Afterward, a judge issued an order demanding he stay away from the White House grounds.
Motive and Mental Health
While investigators have not formally established a motive, multiple law enforcement sources said Best was believed to be suffering from severe mental health issues and had claimed at times to be Jesus Christ. A preliminary investigation indicates that as the individual approached, he removed a weapon from his bag and began firing at posted officers, the Secret Service said in a statement, which confirmed no agents were harmed.
Reaction and Aftermath
Journalists at the scene were left shaken following the incident. Many of those present were also at last month's White House Correspondents' Dinner shooting. Video showed ABC White House Correspondent Selena Wang ducking and hiding as the gunfire erupted. ABC News Senior White House Correspondent Selina Wang appeared shocked as gunfire rang out.
Members of the National Guard stood near the White House after a gunman opened fire close by. Federal agents blocked the street after a shooting occurred next to the White House. The suspected shooter was transported to hospital in critical condition, according to a law enforcement source cited by the Daily Mail. A Secret Service agent walked holding his weapon after gunshots rang out close to the White House. Police blocked streets around the White House on Saturday evening following reports of gunfire.
The press pool had been dismissed about an hour earlier before the shots rang out, with just a few broadcast journalists and photographers remaining on site. Reporters who were already inside the White House were told to shelter in place while Secret Service agents shouted 'get down' and warned of 'shots fired.' They have since been released from the briefing room and the lockdown has been lifted.
The president was inside the White House at the time as he was working on an Iran peace deal with Middle Eastern leaders inside the Oval Office. Trump aides Steven Cheung, Natalie Harp, Margo Martin, and others were all present with the president when the shooting occurred.
The gunfire came from the 17th Street side of the White House, closer to the Eisenhower Executive Office Building. Evidence of the shooting was visible on a sidewalk just outside the White House complex, where yellow crime scene tape snaked across the pavement and officers with the Secret Service placed dozens of orange evidence markers on the ground. Medical material, including what appeared to be purple surgical gloves and kits typically used by emergency medical personnel, were also seen.
Initial reports suggest that a civilian was struck by the gunman before he was shot by the Secret Service. FBI Director Kash Patel confirmed the FBI is present as part of the investigation. 'FBI is on the scene and supporting Secret Service responding to shots fired near White House grounds - we will update the public as we're able.'
Trump, 79, has been the target of three alleged assassination attempts, the most recent of which took place on April 25 when an armed man stormed the security checkpoint at the White House Correspondents Dinner. 'Thank God President Trump is safe,' House Republicans said on X later on Saturday night. 'Endless gratitude to the Secret Service for their immediate, heroic response. Political violence has to stop.'



