A Washington DC Chipotle was the scene of a violent brawl on Saturday night, as a large group of teenagers engaged in a chaotic fight, throwing chairs and punching each other. The incident, which occurred at around 8:45 pm at the Navy Yard location, has been described as a 'teen takeover.'
Chaos Unfolds Inside Restaurant
Video footage captured the disturbance, showing one teen in a blue surgical mask lifting a wooden high chair over his head and slamming it onto another teenager. Both individuals then picked up additional chairs and hurled them at each other, causing collisions that sent furniture crashing to the floor. The brawl escalated further as teens climbed over restaurant furnishings and continued to throw punches.
Amid the chaos, a father was seen sheltering his young daughter and son behind a concrete pillar, holding them close for protection. Other teens filmed the scene from outside, with screams and laughter audible in the background. Police lights soon appeared, reflected in the glass.
Police Response and Aftermath
According to authorities, multiple teens wearing black clothing and ski masks were alerted by others that police had arrived, prompting them to flee on foot. Local resident Ken Ledet expressed dismay, telling WJLA that such incidents have become routine in DC. 'It's not shocking anymore, since this has become routine on Saturdays and Friday nights, but it's disappointing to know this is still happening,' he said.
Police were seen chasing a potential suspect, who was subsequently arrested. The violent scenes occurred just a day after US Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro announced a crackdown on parents of teenagers involved in such violence. 'Starting today, my office will aggressively prosecute parents under DC's curfew law,' Pirro stated, warning of fines, court-ordered classes, and possible jail time of up to six months.
Mixed Reactions from Community Leaders
Nic Wilson, an Advisory Neighborhood Commissioner and father of a teenager, criticized the federal approach. 'I think it's federal overreach,' he said, advocating for local investment in communities and families. Wilson argued that arrests and jail time perpetuate a cycle of incarceration and family separation. 'There's no one at home because they got locked up and thrown in jail. We're not going to police our way out of this situation,' he added.
Edward Daniel, another commissioner, expressed support for parental accountability. 'I'm honestly happy with the accountability piece of this,' he told WJLA. The DC Council has approved a permanent curfew, set to take effect in the summer, but it remains unclear if any charges were filed against the teens or their parents in this incident.
Recurring Issue in Navy Yard
This brawl follows a series of similar incidents in the area. Just last month, a large group of teens was seen running through the streets of Navy Yard, causing chaos. Investigator Elissa De Souza posted a video of that event, lamenting the disruption to the neighborhood. In October, a teen takeover led to five arrests after a clash with the National Guard, with one officer injured. The Metropolitan Police Department reported that four minors were arrested at the Navy Yard Metro station in April for disorderly conduct and assault.



